4/08/2008


Things I've Learned From My Children


For over half of my life my children have filled my days (and nights) with their presence. From infants in arms to active growing boys and girls to rebellious teeneagers to 20 somethings who 'hopefully' are beginning to see an increase in my IQ - life as seen us both grow.


Over the years we've laughed together, cried together, celebrated and played and argued, but, thankfully, always together! Today, as I look at my youngest learning and growing and still 'fun' and at a stage where Mom and Dad still have a 'brain' (and are still on his list of friends), I'm recognizing more and more how much I've learned from my children.


As parents, we spend most of our time 'teaching' our children. However, looking back, I can see how much they've taught me. A few things I’ve learned from them include:


  • The most direct route isn't always the most interesting!
  • Throw yourself into life with gusto - anything less isn't worth the trouble!
  • There are LOTS of interesting things on the ground and below waist level!
  • If you try, you can find something good in just about everyone!
  • Smile and the world smiles back at you!
  • Don't be afraid to laugh at yourself!
  • Love with abandon! It makes everything better!
  • A little imagination is all you need to add lots of color to a dull day!
  • A dog really is man's (or woman's) best friend - at least they are the most loyal!
  • Be patient!
  • Rome wasn't built in a day - children don't grow up over night (neither do parents)!
  • Little things matter!
  • Don't sweat the small stuff (and no, this doesn't contradict the previous item)!
  • Life's better with lots of hugs!
  • You can face anything with God and family by your side!
  • Living in the middle of nowhere (like Elk Lake Resort) adds spice and fun to life!

  • Lady of the Lake

    No comments: