9/28/2013

The Life of Birds

Sometimes diversity makes the individual disappear. At least it seems that way when it comes to birds. While our summer days are packed with flittering chittering friends, I often scarcely notice. But as our small feathered friends move south, their larger counterparts seem grow more obvious.

Thus, intermingled with my attempts to capture the fleeting fall contrasts, I have found numerous opportunities to also observe (and sometimes photograph) the feathered fluttering fellows who still grace our valley with their presence.

The young Swainson's Hawks were by far the most cooperative. In fact, I captured so many images of this beautiful flying predator, I plan to do a complete post focusing on this bird in the near future. It will be fun to see how much we can learn about this particular valley resident.

Sadly my interest in their young upset the parents. However, their intense attention did give me opportunity to practice my 'birds-in-flight' photography - and to learn I have not mastered this art.

Of course, Swainson's aren't the only ones still showing off in our backyard. This Red Tailed Hawk posed nicely near the lake's end. These Bald Eagle chicks watched the world from their nest edge before growing bold, spreading their wings - and their horizons. And, the young ravens who fledged weeks ago still enjoy preening along the roadsides.

And so the sun has set on another lovely month at Elk Lake. Fall is rolling in with winter hard on its heels. Yet, in those calm autumn days before the cold winds howl, we are taking in every aspect possible of our Centennial Valley neighborhood!

Lady of the Lake

No comments: