5/27/2008


The "Real" World

Seems like I've finally stepped on someone's toes. Although that is never my intent, I am not surprised. After all, it only takes a few moments in the 'real' world to learn everyone has an opinion and rarely do they agree. Thus, to find my recent post Me! Love Me Not! has hit a nerve with at least one reader comes as no surprise.

My response: I read. I read a LOT. However, I read widely - both sides, various authors, different opinions. Then I form my own opinion. In other words, I believe logical thinking and plain ole' common sense play 'key' roles in getting to the bottom of issues.

To respond to their accusations: I guess if you feel it is 'placating' the rancher to not let Bison run wild (I'd like to see how 'city dwellers' would deal with Bison in their front yard) then it's only fair to say we're 'placating' Bison lovers when ranchers keep their cattle contained! I enjoy Bison as much as the next guy. They are an amazing animal - no doubt about it. And, I would be just as upset if someone were attacking their right to live in the Park as any 'green' person. But, to say they belong roaming the prairies, is, quite logically, taking it too far. And, although my opponent appears to see the cattleman as the 'bad guy', I happen to think they've earned their place on the planet as well.

As to "begreen's" comments about the Montana FWP. What, exactly, do we have state government and state agencies for, if not to do 'their' jobs? If our founding fathers had intended the federal government to 'govern' every aspect within the boundaries of our country, they would not, in their wisdom, have allowed that land to be divided into 'states' (with 'rights' to govern and control the land within their boundaries). And, for the record, I do believe the Fish, Wildlife, and Parks employees earn their scientific degrees from the same colleges and universities which the federal employees earn theirs. My point was the scientific community NOT the judicial community should be making these decisions. No judge, no matter how good he or she is at their job, is qualified to be the final authority on interpreting science. Yet, I believe that is what we are requiring of them. That is wrong.

While I'm at it, I'd like to clarify (if it needs clarifying) I am NOT A WOLF HATER! Nor am I a WOLF LOVER! I believe it shows the extreme bias of both sides when a person must be one or the other (and for the record, I am not a BISON HATER or a BISON LOVER). That is if you define 'wolf hater'as someone who wants all wolves dead, and 'wolf lover' as someone who want no wolves dead. Like every other issue in life, there is a balance out there.

In fact, I was appalled at two things I read this week. One was a report in the Jackson Hole News and Guide of a recent illegal wolf killing. I find that appaling. And, to be quite frank, it only hurts the cause on both sides because it tends to fuel the fires - pro and con!

Worse, however, was Dick Marler's article in this week's Island Park News. (scroll down to article "Who's Afraid of the Big Bad Wolf"). According to Dick (whose weekly article, by the way, is usually a LOT of fun to read), their is a lot of anti-wolf sentiment out there. So, while I express frustration over making our judicial system the last say in scientific affairs, I feel extreme disgust at this over-reaction.

I see it this way. If there is a need to shoot a wolf, shoot it. It there isn't, leave it alone! The wolf ought to be allowed no more and no less rights than the humans who inhabit the planet with him. If a man is attacking my child with a knife in his hands, I would shoot him. However, that doesn't mean I'm going to shoot every male in sight! The same applies to the wolf. If he's attacking livestock or people or pets, he has become a danger. I'd shoot him. Again, that doesn't mean I need to shoot every wolf I see.

In other words - I do not hold to the statement, 'The only good wolf is a dead wolf.' And, quite frankly, I know a LOT of people, both in and out of the agriculture community, who don't hold to that standard either.

So, let's not lump people into piles and say, you're either pro or con. There are a few educated, reasonable people out there who would like to see us co-exist. I happen to be one of them.

All this 'contention' makes me glad I can look out my window and see things working 'right', albeit a bit slowly. In fact, green has become the color of the hour. Bird song the symphony. Warm breezes the caress. Sunlight dancing on water the entertainment. Hardy yet beautiful wildflowers the heros! Boy am I glad I can be the

Lady of the Lake

No comments: