6/17/2007

Business Is Booming At Elk Lake

I have an article finish but no time to finish it. As those of you know who follow this blog, I started an opinion piece on Global Warming - beginning with those speaking for it (and they aren't hard to find), and promising at least one follow up segment for the other side. However, work hasn't allowed me time to finish the second piece. But I will!

In the mean time, the fishing is great! There were numerous 18 - 20 inch fish caught at Hidden Lake on opening weekend. If the number of people says anything, I certainly hope most were catch and release (most we talked to were). Not to be left out of the limelight, Elk Lake produced a beautiful 22 inch - 3 pound plus Westslope Cutthroat. Shhhh - don't tell anyone! It was caught on a worm!

In other wildlife news, a recent trip up Narrows Creek Canyon produced a variety of sightings. A Buffle-head Duck and her three ducklings were darling to watch (however, a couple days later only one duckling remained). A pair of Red-Tail Hawks were watching the ducklings as well (who wants to bet they are the villians in this story?). A Great Blue Heron flew off as I approached the pond, then loudly reproached me for disturbing his respite. A pair of Sandhills also rebuked me for entering their haven - then flew across the canyon to 'safer' ground.

The miriads of colorful butterflies flew up from the stream banks as I walked adding clouds of color. There were even a few birds I'd never noticed before, but which I could not identify as I didn't have my binoculars or my bird book - next time!

However, the highlight of the day was the bull moose Beau flushed out of the willows at the head of the pond. I suspect I never would have seen him were it not for the dog. In fact, both he and the dog were silent throughout their meeting and parting of ways. Nonetheless, I delighted in a great view of him as he trotted up the hillside across the narrow canyon. (But, alas, I left my camera at the lodge!)

Moose sightings actually remain fairly consistent, in spite of the warmer temperatures. Of course, as the area becomes a more popular moose-sighting spot, we are glad some remain on the valley floor to delight their fans.

We've also had regular fox sightings as our local female comes looking for baby food. Then there are the elk sightings which are frequent. Antelope are regularly visible. We've even seen quite a few deer - numerous lone does, two does with tiny fawns, and three nice looking bucks - all near Elk Lake.

It's a wonderful place to be, even if you have to work most of the time!

Lady of the Lake

1 comment:

Misfit0481 said...

I just found your journal while googling for the Centennial Valley - I worked as a firefighter for the Refuge in 2004 and miss it so much! (They lost funding for my job). It was great reading about the seasons and wildlife and what's going on out there, since I can't be there to experience it. Thanks for sharing!
~Lisa